As we begin the school year, Newark Police Department will begin citing drivers whenever necessary to encourage compliance of traffic laws and to reinforce that safety of our children is a priority.
There have been multiple incidents endangering children even a child being struck and several near misses. Please remember that children’s cognitive abilities are still developing and they lack training and experience in traffic safety.
Keys to avoid receiving a citation:
- Drive Slow
- Do not make illegal U-turns
- Have car seats for children
- Have seat belts on all passengers
- Make a “full-stop” at stop signs
Putting our children at risk is not worth the few minutes you may save by rushing and breaking these suggestions. Newark Unified School District and the Newark Police Department want to keep everyone safe.
Safety reminders for children walking to school:
- Walk, don’t run across the street
- Look left, look right and left again
- Obey Walk/Wait signals
- Do not cross at mid-block locations
- Use crosswalks
Safety reminders for children biking to school:
- Always wear a properly fastened and fitted helmet
- Obey all traffic laws
- Ride in the same direction as motor vehicles
- Check traffic when changing lanes, crossing streets or turning
- Use hand signals